LSU title parade draws massive crowds Last year, the league had three separate groups in its officiating team under the guidance of then-commissioner Andy Jao.“This year, we tapped BRASCU because we want consistency and one interpretation of our rules,” said Saguisag, who filled in for commissioner Arturo “Bai” Cristobal during the PSA Forum on Tuesday at Golden Phoenix Hotel in Pasay City.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Saguisag also said the NCAA will revert back to Fiba ruling with the application of possession arrow instead of jump balls in the last two minutes.“We agreed in principle that we will return to the possession arrow rule the whole game,” said Saguisag. The league will also retain its rule on hand checking.“You can not use your hands to prevent offensive players from moving because we believe that talent should come through and we will not allow dirty tactics and hand checking to prevent that,” he said.Players and coaches will also be given more room to react on calls.“We will not slap automatic warning or technical foul based on the initial reaction of a player or coach because we want to give them a chance to control their emotion and we don’t like the league with robots and not playing with human element, which is the beauty of sports,” said Saguisag.“Of course, there are boundaries and we will punish people who will cross the line,” he added.ADVERTISEMENT Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Clippers, Lakers among most-watched NBA teams by Filipinos Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ LATEST STORIES Last one for Pacquiao—Roach End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Thousands join Kalibo Ati-atihan despite typhoon devastation Trump invites Duterte again to visit US – this time for March summit Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet MOST READ Tobias Harris’ late 3 seals Sixers’ win over Knicks For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. LaVine scores 42, Chicago rallies late to beat Cavs Lyceum head coach Topex Robinson. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netNCAA deputy commissioner Atty. Rebo Saguisag said the league has created a 40-man pool of referees from the Basketball Referees Association for Schools, Colleges and University in hopes to have a unified interpretation of rules.The 93rd Season of the NCAA opens on Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
On Saturday evening, the 704 Lounge will yet again be buzzing with activities as one of the hottest parties is ready to invade the premises. The event is titled “Soca/ Dancehall Colour Party” and will reveal the status of the patrons. Those who categorise themselves as “wotless with secrets” are urged to wear pink; those who are “taken” can wear yellow; if you are “independent and stress free”, patrons are asked to wear red; those who are “single” are encouraged to dress in black and finally if you are “looking out”, wear white. The event is promoted by Team Unstoppable in collaboration with Ex-Entertainment. Music will be provided by Unity Family, Deejay Shizzle, Royalti Vybez, Mix Master Tony and G-Rich. Ladies will be admitted free before 23:00h.Admission however, is $2000. Doors open at 21:00h and the action will commence later.
The Defense for Children International-Liberia (DCI)-Liberia, in partnership with the Liberia Care for Humanity Inc (LICH), has completed a ten room latrine project, with a capacity building component in the Trowien and New Kru Town communities on Bushrod Island.The Program Supervisor, Jannie T. Barclay told reporters recently in New Kru Town that the project is meant to benefit the youth of Trowien Community and adjoining areas. Mrs. Barclay said the youth were able to identify four main issues with the pilot project, including the renovation of the public latrine, cleaning of the drainage that was used for solid and liquid waste, empty land space used for garbage and a school yard.She said with the ongoing project, the youth of Trowien Community and New Kru Town are direct beneficiaries, who are also expected to benefit from the second phase of the project.“We put together 10 youth groups together from the above-mentioned communities to implement the project. We were able to build the minds of the youth in what we called ‘communication for development,’ including indentifying key issues within the community,” she said.“This facility has ten rooms. We are also fixing the septic tank and other components of the latrine. The renovation of the latrine has to do with a child protection component and a WASH component because the tank was demolished while the water from the tank was spreading in the community. “We are implementing a pilot project where Liberia Care for Humanity, Inc (LICH) carryout the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) component of the project, while Defense for Children International (DCI)-Liberia is carrying on the issue of child protection.” She added that because this was a pilot project, both organizations were unable to intervene on the four main issues identified by the youth but through the ranking of the issues identified the major ones, which were completed.Also speaking, the Program Manager of Defense for Children International-Liberia, Robert Konneh, said they have been working in advocating for children and creating space in the two communities.Mr. Konneh said the project will benefit a little over 10, 000 people in and around the area.To help the youth after the completion of the renovation, he said they negotiated for the youth to play a part in the maintenance of the latrine; which was accepted, and they are now working at it. “The youth will also be provided L$5,000, which will be placed in the account of the youth. The renovation of the latrines valued over US$1, 000,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
0Shares0000Hamza Anwar competes at the sixth round of the KCB Autocross Championship held in Vipingo on Sunday 24th June 2018.MALINDI, Kenya, Jun 25- Nineteen-year-old Coast based driver Hamza Anwar was crowned the 2WD non Turbo Champion during the sixth round of the KCB Autocross Championship held in Vipingo on Sunday.Hamza set record times during the event clocking 02.40:00 during the final heat to be crowned the champion ahead of Sahir Mughal and Akbar Khan. The drivers were feted by KCB Bank Kenya Regional Business Manager Coast region Jane Isiaho at the Vipingo race track.Speaking during the prize giving, Isiaho lauded the organizers and the competitors for the great outing.“The KCB autocross event standards were notably exceptional, we thank all the participants and we are looking forward to seeing the growth of the sport in the region”, said Isiaho.Sahib Omar won the 4wd turbo ahead of Lovejyot Singh, Rehan Shah, Ammar Haq, Murage Waigwa, Paras Pandya and Naushad Kara.The 2WD turbo was won by Imran Hakada who clocked 07:56:59 ahead of Zameer Verjee and Shaz Ismail while Yuvraj Rajput won the Bambino class.The open category had a record 8 competitors in a race that saw Alfir Khan rack up another victory clocking 07:43:92 ahead of Imran Hakada who bagged a second podium finish during the event.Rajveer Thethy won the junior 2wd non turbo clocking 08:24:47.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
– Advertisement –
Liverpool’s manager also claimed that describing Hull as “just hard to beat” was doing them a disservice.Hull won their first two league games and were unbeaten away from home in both the Premier League and the English Football League Cup, in which they are through to the last 16.But both those theories were swiftly shot to pieces by a rampant Liverpool side, who scored three goals before half-time and could easily have doubled that tally.Hull’s cause was not helped by the dismissal of Ahmed Elmohamady after half an hour as the defender blocked a shot from Philippe Coutinho on the line with his arm.James Milner slotted home the resulting penalty to make it 2-0, but even before then Hull had never looked likely to end a record of never having won at Anfield.Liverpool, playing in front of Anfield’s new Main Stand for only the second time, did as they pleased almost from the start as they made it an unhappy 54th birthday for Hull’s caretaker manager Mike Phelan.Phelan is still to learn whether he will be appointed manager on a permanent basis.But if the job should be made his, he will know he is in for a testing season, with Hull having now taken just one point from their last four league games.Liverpool, on the contrary, are going from strength to strength. A third successive league win underlined their credentials as a side capable of sustaining a challenge at the top end of the table.– Karius league debut –Last season, before Klopp replaced Brendan Rodgers as manager, they scored three goals in their opening six league games. This time round they have 16 at the same stage.Coutinho should have given that tally an early boost, but saw his scuffed shot legitimately cleared off the line by Elmohamady.It took just 17 minutes for the first goal to come, though, as Coutinho cleverly set up Adam Lallana to screw a mis-hit shot into the bottom corner.Milner’s penalty re-affirmed Liverpool’s superiority and nine minutes before half-time it was 3-0.Lallana turned smartly in the box to provide Sadio Mane with the chance to shoot low past David Marshall and claim his third goal of the season.Mane also saw a deflected shot hit the bar, while Georginio Wijnaldum was twice denied by Marshall before Hull reached the sanctuary of half-time.Arguably Klopp’s toughest call of the day had been to replace Simon Mignolet in goal with close-season signing Loris Karius following the German’s recovery from a broken hand.Karius had virtually nothing to do on his league debut, but Liverpool are still to keep a clean sheet this season after Hull substitute David Meyler drove the ball home following a second-half corner.If that was careless from Liverpool, the response was impressive as just 60 seconds later Coutinho strode forward to curl a trademark 25-yarder into the top corner for his third goal of the season.Andrew Robertson then tripped substitute Daniel Sturridge to allow Milner to score his second penalty of a one-sided afternoon.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Sadio Mane celebrates with Philipe Coutinho as Liverpool beat Hull City 5-1 on September 24, 2016. PHOTO/DAILYMAILLiverpool, United Kingdom, Sep 24- Jurgen Klopp disproved his own words of warning as Liverpool crushed Hull City 5-1 at Anfield on Saturday to climb into the top four of the Premier League.Klopp had written in his programme notes of the uniquely competitive nature of the Premier League, pointing out that there are no easy games in England’s top flight.
10. Eden Hazard (left-wing) 2. Branislav Ivanovic (right-back) 11 19. Diego Costa (striker) 1. Asmir Begovic – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 11 28. Cesar Azpilicueta (left-back) 4. Cesc Fabregas (central midfield) 11 36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek (attacking midfield) 22. Willian (right-wing) 11 Tottenham travel to Stamford Bridge on Monday evening, looking to keep their title hopes alive.Anything other than a win for Mauricio Pochettino’s men means that Leicester are crowned Premier League champions tonight, despite having only drawn with Manchester United on Sunday.For Chelsea, there is nothing but pride to play for, knowing that they can stop their local rivals securing the top flight crown.Guus Hiddink has promised that his side will fight tooth and nail for all three points, and he has enjoyed a boost this week with John Terry and Gary Cahill both ready to start after various ailments.A strong starting XI is expected, and talkSPORT take a look at who could be called upon by the Dutchman.Click the right arrow, above, to see the entire predicted starting line-up… 11 11 12. John Obi Mikel (central midfield) 24. Gary Cahill (centre-back) 26. John Terry (centre-back) 11 11 11 11 11
Ray Stubbs is joined by Matt Scott and Tom Hopkinson to cast their eyes over the main sporting stories.They discuss Manchester United’s victory in the Community Shield, Paul Pogba’s impending move to Old Trafford, the opening weekend of the Football League and the ongoing Rio Olympics.Listen above or click here to download the podcast from iTunes
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Former senator and astronaut John Glenn and his wife were expected to be released from the hospital Saturday after getting in a car accident a day earlier, authorities said. Glenn, 85, and his wife, Annie, 86, were in fair condition Saturday afternoon at Grant Medical Center and were expected to be discharged later in the day, nursing supervisor Louis Tejada said. Hospital staff would not comment on the extent of their injuries. Police said no further information was available on the crash. The driver of the other car, Amy Myers of suburban New Albany, said she was driving east late Friday night when Glenn, who was driving west, tried to turn left onto a highway ramp. Myers, who was not injured, said her car hit the front of his. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREFrumpy Middle-aged Mom: My realistic 2020 New Year’s resolutions. Some involve doughnuts.
SANTA CLARITA – Canyon High School’s award-winning choir has sung its way around the country. The choir has been to San Francisco, New York and even was invited to Beijing. But the singers still feel like no one’s listening. “We want to represent who we are, and we need to have a place that shows that,” self-proclaimed super senior Alexandru Ivanescu said. After more than three years of waiting for a performing arts center to call their own, Canyon’s theater and choir students learned last week the project had been delayed, again. Right next door to the choir room, Canyon’s enterprising theater program is also feeling the neglect. As the leading man in “Beauty and the Beast,” Canyon senior Garett Deagon has trouble walking through the hallways of the 16-year-old black box theater on campus. The cabinets – installed by students with money raised by enterprising teachers – have nails poking out. The doors are coming off the hinges, and the black paint is chipping at the corners. “It’s like we are last on the list,” Deagon said. “Time and time again, the fire marshal comes and marks us down, yet no one is offering to make it better.” Most of these students, some in choir or theater since they were freshmen, won’t get a chance to perform on their own school stages. Officials with the William S. Hart Union High School District now say the performing arts center won’t open until 2010. There isn’t enough money. Students blame their school for a lack of interest, and the district for skewed priorities. The saga between Canyon and Saugus, and the Hart District, has been dragging on for at least three years, when talks began of building new performing arts centers at the decades-old campuses. Three years ago, the nonprofit Santa Clarita Valley Facilities Foundation, which facilitates property purchases for the Hart District, committed to $14million. The foundation buys land for the district, builds schools on the parcels and sells the unused land, an effort to speed the process through state red tape. In 2004, after months of visits to other facilities and hours of meetings involving arts teachers, school administrators, designers and architects, two ideal building designs were finalized. But the costs came in $12million over the budgeted $14million. “I felt sick to my stomach and left that meeting in tears,” said Mary Purdy, Canyon High 25-year choir teacher. No one knows this tug-of-war better than the teachers who have devoted endless hours of unpaid time to getting these performing arts centers. They were among those present when the school board announced its decision to halt the projects. The board had, months earlier, asked the planning committee for the centers to “value engineer” – cut back – what they could from the centers to make them financially feasible. “I am just trying to maintain a positive attitude,” drama teacher Marilyn Pilkey said. Pilkey built the black box theater that now stands as Canyon’s only performance area, when she began teaching at the school 16 years ago. Bonnie Bennett joined Pilkey eight years later, and together with their students, they hammered wood planks to build the homemade stage. They have accepted lighting and seating donations and have washed multiple cars and sold plenty of chocolates to raise money for their theater and their shows. Plans to modernize the campus call for razing the theater – leaving Canyon with no space for performing arts. The students have their own ideas about why there’s no money left for them. “They built the football field in less than a semester,” said senior Brittany Looney, who has been in stage craft at Canyon since her freshman year. “People just don’t care about the arts,” 17-year-old Chris Zepeda said. During the four years that Canyon and Saugus have been waiting for the performing arts centers, all six district high schools have been fitted with top-of-the-line turf fields. Stadiums were built at Canyon and Valencia high schools. Hart Superintendent Jaime Castellanos said it’s a matter of time and priorities. “We were one of the first districts to put in artificial fields; that shows the value this community has on athletics,” Castellanos said. “Performing arts centers take more time to construct.” Assistant Superintendent Leslie Crunelle, who helped plan the performing arts centers, said the arts are just as important as athletics. “They are just competing for resources,” Crunelle said. Crunelle said that while she had no definite answer as to why the projects have taken this long, she is sure this last halt will be temporary. “It is frustrating; everything takes longer than we want it too,” she said. But at Canyon High – where students are sick of improvising stages and performance venues – the drama and choir students are demanding their spotlight. “We work just as hard as the football players at this school,” senior Megan Denny said. “We know football gets attention because they’re winning, but look at our trophies, we’re winning, too. “We are not asking to get all the money. That would just be reversing the situation. We just want things to be fair.” email@example.com (661) 257-5254160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!