It says that the UN is looking forward to working with her to discuss her role “at an appropriate date”.The player admitted in March that she had taken the substance meldonium at the Australian Open in January.She was subsequently banned for two years by an investigating tribunal.But last month her suspension was reduced to 15 months after she filed an appeal.The UN Development Programme (UNDP) appointed the tennis star as a goodwill ambassador in February 2007, but suspended her in March after her doping admission.”The UNDP is glad to learn that Maria Sharapova can return to the sport she loves sooner than expected and we will lift the suspension of her role as our goodwill ambassador once the reduced ban expires in April 2017,” the UN statement says.”We understand that Ms Sharapova will be focused on resuming her tennis career and we look forward to discussing her role and engagement with the UNDP at an appropriate date.”Sharapova said she had been taking meldonium since 2006 for health issues but said she did not realise it had been added to the banned list on 1 January 2016 as she knew it by another name – mildronate.After her admission, Sharapova’s sponsors were divided in their response. Sports firm Nike, racket manufacturer Head and bottled water company Evian all said they would stand by her.But Swiss watchmaker Tag Heuer cut ties with her in March while Porsche also expressed concern about continuing its links.In June, Forbes said Sharapova was the world’s second highest-paid female athlete, behind her rival Serena Williams.
The Varsity Blues men’s basketball team fell 97-53 to the No. 1 Carleton Ravens on Friday night (Jan. 26) at Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport.The Blues continue to hold the final playoff spot at 9-8 despite the loss, while the Ravens improve their undefeated record to 17-0.Sage Usher and Daniel Johansson scored a team-high 11 points in the losing effort. Ravens guard Stanley Mayambo led the way, dropping a career-high 20 points in the victory.U of T is back in action on Saturday night (Jan. 27) against the No. 9 Ottawa Gee-Gees (12-4). All the action starts at 8:00 p.m., at Goldring Centre. For more information, scores and highlights on your favourite U of T athletes and teams, please visit www.varsityblues.ca. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and Facebook for the latest and greatest in Varsity Blues intercollegiate athletics. Print Friendly Version Story Links
Sigona Golf Club Member, Khan, managed to card a total of 40 Stableford points to win the series title.Buoyed by perfect weather and excellent conditions on the 18-hole Karen Golf Club, Khan, a handicap 19 player, managed to claim the top prize from a strong field of 164 qualifiers earlier picked from the series play-offs countrywide.Haren Patel, Sahen Shah, Anil Lalla, George Njoroge, Atish Malde, E. Mwangi and Sam Muraya are other members of the squad. S. Muriu, Divyanga Amin, Eric Kabuthia, Joyce Wanjiru, K. Thimba, Simon Mbugua, J. Jaffer, Paul Kaguamba, Rufus Gichuki, PP. Nathwani, C.Chumo, and Karaya Karuga complete the line-up.“I am excited of my win today. The tournament was enjoyable and I want to thank the bank for sponsoring this series, which has earned me a slot to play in the upcoming Pro Am 2013. Karen Golf club is a tough course but I am happy that I kept my balls to the fairways which earned me this prize,” the winner said“We are ecstatic that the series has been well received. We were able to cover the whole country attracting over 2,400 amateur golfers. We are committed to support and develop the sport not only in Kenya but across the East Africa region,” the bank’s country director of compliance Laban Omagi underscored.Gertrudes Hospital CEO Gordon Odundo emerged the guest winner, playing off handicap 28 scoring 38 points, whereas Kenya Golf Union Chairman Peter Kanyago scooped the guest runner’s up with 35. Tabitha Muhinga claimed the staff prize after carding 36 points.Throughout the Golf Circuit, Barclays Bank has also managed to raise funds in aid of charitable organisations that promote socio-economic empowerment and development through enterprise skills, financial literacy and life skills. 0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000NAIROBI, Kenya, February 4- Series winner, Tanvir Khan leads the contingent of 20 amateur golfers selected to feature in the Pro-Am event of the Barclays Kenya Open.The team was picked following the conclusion of the bank’s domestic Golf Circuit Grand Finale last weekend at the Karen Golf Club.
– Advertisement –
Police say that due to the factors of the incident, which have not been released, charges will not be laid against the driver. Pedestrians and drivers are reminded to make eye contact with each other before attempting to cross slippery roads in our fluctuating weather conditions.- Advertisement –
The FIFA leader held the first of a series of regional meetings with federation chiefs outside Paris on Wednesday and said after “the aim was to explain, to lift misunderstandings and I think we succeeded.”“The concluding view of the associations who were there was that everyone wants an expansion.“After there were some who want 40 and others 48. The question is how to make the shareout, to guarantee that teams from (all) continents will participate in the final phase.”FIFA President Gianni Infantino (L) and FFF President Noel Le Graet address reporters in Roissy-en-France, north of Paris, on November 23, 2016 © AFP / Christoph ArchambaultFIFA gains from a bigger World Cup because its television revenues would get a major boost with more countries.Infantino said that with 40 countries there could be 10 first round groups of four or eight groups of five.“With these two variations we realised that we give more teams a chance to participate but from a sporting point of view the problem is that it (qualification) is not very direct.”With 32 teams, the top two from each group qualify for the knockout stages. With 40 there would be more best third-placed teams.Infantino highlighted the case of Albania at this year’s European Championship. The Balkan state had to wait a week before finding out whether they had qualified from their group as one of the best third place teams.With a 48-nation final, there could be 32 in the group stages but there would be 16 playoffs to get the last 16 places in the groups and these would be held at the World Cup host country.Infantino said it would be like 16 “finals” before the group stage.Noel Le Graet, president of the French Football Federation, said he was “not very taken” by the playoff idea.Teams and supporters could end up going to the World Cup finals for just one match if they lose the playoff.“It is a question that is being studied,” said Infantino. “It is negative if there has to be a lot of preparation for just one match.“We know that matches which interest the public the most, including supporters, are the matches where there is really something at stake,” he added.“FIFA’s aim is to have more countries, whatever the formula,” said Le Graet. “I think doubts will be raised about playoffs at the next FIFA Congress.”The French football chief said European federations preferred the “status quo” and that even with 48 teams it was possible to hold a tournament without playoffs.The heads of other major European federations have said that they will follow the expansion because it is wanted by smaller nations.Infantino has another of his football summits in Singapore and Indonesia on December 6 and 8 before the FIFA Council meets on January 9-10 to decide the World Cup revolution.Infantino will hold similar talks in Miami, Doha, Addis Ababa and London up until March next year.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gianni Infantino addresses journalists campaigned for the FIFA leadership this year on the back of adding to the 32 nations at the current World Cup © AFP / Christophe ArchambaultPARIS, France, Nov 23 – FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Wednesday that everyone agrees on the need to expand the World Cup finals but there are divisions on whether there should be 40 or 48 teams.Infantino campaigned for the FIFA leadership this year on the back of adding to the 32 nations at the current World Cup. The FIFA Council is to decide in January how big the tournament can go from 2026.
One problem with all that old furniture, Pastucha said, is that it’s not up to contemporary standards in ergonomics. The city hopes to have the building leveled in the first half of 2008 to make way for a $5.5 million, multi-purpose athletic field – the first in a three-phased plan to improve Robinson Park. The city only has $3.3 million banked for the first part of the plan, and is hoping the state will come through with money earmarked for city parks. Either way, the building is coming down. It’s demolition will also spell the end of the Armory Center for the Arts’ Northwest satellite facility. Purchased by the city in 2000 for $4million, the property has been used for storage and some office space while plans to improve Robinson Park have sought funding. The site had once been identified as a desirable location for a new elementary school for the Pasadena Unified School District before declining enrollment led the district to close, not open, schools. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4444 www.insidesocal.com/pasadenapolitics160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre But Martin Pastucha, director of Public Works, said “it’s all old stuff.” “This is the old furniture we had packed away at City Hall,” he said. “We tried for a while to give it away, and the school district did take some.” Most of the metal items would be recycled, he added. But the majority of it will likely end up in a landfill, officials said. Inside the city-owned building, near long aisles of boxes marked “City Records,” a virtual used-furniture warehouse of desks and cabinets and more is still collecting dust. Their fate is less certain. PASADENA – In with the new, out with the old. Stacks of filing cabinets, heaps of desks and small mountains of chairs that were removed from City Hall as part of its renovation were cleared out of storage at the former Highland Plastics building on North Fair Oaks Avenue on Thursday and loaded into giant trash bins. The items were removed to make way for a planned expansion to Robinson Park, officials said. Most of the furniture appeared to be functional and undamaged.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champJeff always made time for Gayle, especially last August when she came home from the hospital after having her left foot amputated because of a bone infection. Now, Christmas was only a few days away and Gayle sat on her porch with her new prosthesis waiting for Jeff so she could thank him one more time for his concern, and wish him a Merry Christmas. But when the delivery van pulled to the curb Thursday, it wasn’t Jeff sitting behind the wheel. It was someone she didn’t know. And it wasn’t food the ONE employees in the van were unloading and carrying up her driveway. It was wrapped presents and a brand-new wheelchair they were pushing up her handicapped-access ramp. “This is for you, Gayle,” said ONE caseworker Julia Winters, giving her a hug. “Merry Christmas.” Gayle Banuelos sat on the front porch of her tiny Van Nuys home Thursday waiting for her hot meal for the day to be delivered from ONEgeneration’s homebound meals program. The 69-year-old woman who uses a wheelchair enjoyed talking with the regular driver, Jeff Schnaufer. Over the past year, he had become much more than just a deliveryman dropping off food. He had become a shoulder for her to lean on, someone who cared and always stayed longer than he should before continuing on his route. There were 10 drivers delivering meals every day to more than 250 homebound seniors in the San Fernando Valley, so they didn’t have a lot of time to stay and talk. Banuelos sat there stunned. “Oh, my goodness,” she finally said, covering her face and beginning to cry. “Oh, my goodness.” Winters couldn’t believe it when Schnaufer, a freelance writer working mornings at ONE, told her what had happened a few weeks after Gayle got home from the hospital. The wheelchair she had been given had been repossessed because her insurance didn’t cover it. Medicare had provided her a motorized wheelchair for outdoor use almost four years ago when she couldn’t walk anymore, and she wasn’t eligible for a new wheelchair for at least another year. The motorized chair was too big to maneuver around her tiny home, and the small chair her daughter had bought her back in 2001 for $100 when she began having difficulty walking needed major, expensive work. “The brakes didn’t work and it wasn’t safe anymore,” Winters said. “All Gayle could do basically was just sit in it. That’s why she was given a new wheelchair after her operation in August to get around her home.” But that had been repossessed, even though Gayle’s daughter, Angie, offered to make small payments on it for her mom. After hearing the story, Winters turned to ONE’s SHARE program – Sending Help And Real Essentials – which matches donors with struggling seniors. It was begun by ONE board member Stu Zimring and his wife, Carol, after hearing this poignant story from one of the caseworkers. The senior she was looking after had all the canned goods she was given over the months still on her shelf. She wasn’t eating any of it. Did she not like the food? the caseworker asked. No, it wasn’t that, the homebound senior said. She didn’t have a can opener and she was ashamed to ask for one. The next week, the caseworker brought her a can opener. “A few weeks later we received a letter from the senior thanking us,” Carol said. “She had enclosed $1. She said she hoped it would help us help another senior. “That’s when the board members began filling wish lists, and now it’s grown to hundreds of families and companies filling those wish lists.” The list isn’t luxury items or extravagant gifts, but outlines specific needs and modest comforts. Certainly a wheelchair would fall into that category, Winters thought. Last week, Gayle’s secret SHARE donor – 10 members of the talent department at Nickelodeon TV – raised $500 to buy her a new wheelchair for Christmas. In all, more than 150 employees at Nickelodeon and MTV Network’s Kids and Family Group – most of them young workers – fill wish lists for 50 seniors receiving services from ONE. So much for the great divide between the young and the old. When the need is there, they are there for each other. “I never thought there was anybody anywhere like you people at ONE and the employees at Nickelodeon,” Gayle said, beaming as she sat in her new wheelchair. “Thank you so much. I can’t believe it.” It’s almost Christmas, Gayle. Believe it. Dennis McCarthy’s column appears Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. email@example.com 818-713-3749160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Donegal from space today; tweeted by Canadian astronautMORE than 500,000 people around the world were today treated to a picture of Donegal from space!That’s how many followers Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield has.“Donegal, one of the many famous places I’ve only seen from space,” said Chris today as he tweeted this picture. He also tweeted a picture of Inishowen and Derry before he went one better and recorded a version of ‘Danny Boy’, the ballad traditionally set to the Irish tune, ‘Derry Air’, in honour of St Patrick’s Day.You can hear it by logging on here and scrolling down to the song!http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/17/canadian-astronaut-danny-boy_n_2895588.html?utm_hp_ref=ukIt’s bloody good! WOW! ASTRONAUNT TWEETS PICTURE OF DONEGAL FROM INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION was last modified: March 17th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:WOW! ASTRONAUNT TWEETS PICTURE OF DONEGAL FROM INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION
The approach of Independence Day has Santa Fe Springs Fire Marshall Bil Murphy worried. Already, a local consortium of fire departments has confiscated 12,000 pounds of fireworks discovered at a trucking company in Montebello. “Confiscating 20,000 pounds of illegal fireworks is a slow year in our area,” said Murphy, who along with dozens of other fire personnel will be working late shifts from now through July 5. “Last year, we confiscated two 48-foot cargo containers and one 24-foot container” filled with illegal fireworks, he said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Each Fourth of July holiday, Murphy works with local fire departments to crack down on illegal fireworks in Santa Fe Springs, Montebello, La Habra Heights, Downey, Compton and Vernon. Local police departments and sheriff’s stations also will put more patrols on streets, beginning this week. They’ll be responding to residents’ calls about illegal fireworks, officials said. “In South Whittier, we’ll have anywhere from a minimum of four additional deputies to a maximum of eight from June 30 through July 5,” said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Norwalk Station Lt. John Voza. “They’ll be strictly focusing on illegal fireworks.” Extra deputies also will be patrolling the streets of Pico Rivera through the holiday, said Lt. Dave Bobier of the sheriff’s Pico Rivera Station. “They’ll be responding to calls about fireworks and looking for people with illegal fireworks,” said Bobier. “Most of what we’ll rely on is reports from citizens. They’ll hear and see more than we will.” La Mirada City Manager Andrea Travis said extra deputies and firefighters will be deployed from Friday through the holiday to enforce the city’s fireworks regulations. “We will also have some officers working undercover,” Travis said. “Residents are already reporting to us areas where neighbors have illegal fireworks, or are misusing safe-and-sane fireworks.” Those found with illegal fireworks can be cited and fined, officials said. Whittier does not allow any fireworks, and officials said the city usually doesn’t have a large problem with them. “Generally, it’s fairly quiet in Whittier,” said Assistant City Manager Nancy Mendez. Additional officers will be out on July 4, said Whittier police spokesman Jason Zuhlke. Fireworks will be confiscated and violators will be fined, he added. Murphy said it costs the state thousands of dollars to confiscate and destroy illegal fireworks, far more than the explosives are worth. “It’s a huge drain on resources,” said Murphy. “We’re chasing people around. It’s an enforcement nightmare … People sell illegal fireworks out of their house, garage, car trunk.” Murphy said Los Angeles County fire marshals met last week to discuss the illegal fireworks problem. “Nobody knows whether this weekend will be bad or whether people will save themselves for Tuesday,” he said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!